Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimps or connector blocks?

On 01/10/19 22:35, newshound wrote:
On 01/10/2019 22:25, Peter Parry wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 11:46:43 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

I do not have an any experience of crimping. The example ratchet crimper
mentioned in the DIYWiki is OOS at TLC. Other cheapish ratchet crimpers
from Screwfix, Toolstation, etc often seem to get poor reviews when used
with thinner wire and red crimps. I don't really want to lay out on a
pro-grade crimper for this one-off job, so wondered what other options
are available. It seems to me it comes down to connector blocks or
soldering, either of which I would be happy to do. But what about using
shrinkfit insulation after making the connection? It will definitely be
needed for a soldered connection, but is it required for a connector block?

Wago connectors

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65_vZ9DM1I

I was going to suggest that too, provided there is room.

I have to go to TLC today to get some heatshrink sleeving, and will get
a pack of Wago 222-412 and 773-102 at the same time. As noted, whether
or not they will fit inside 16mm high mini-trunking is something I will
find out! The other issue is whether or not the actuator wiring is
suitable for a Wago 773 (which is more likely to fit inside the trunking
than a 222) - it's stranded - but whether or not it's AWG 14 - 12 I
couldn't say. Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a use for the Wago connectors
even if they are not suitable.

--

Jeff