Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimps or connector blocks?

I have just got a like-for-like replacement ACK42 (230V) window actuator
for the conservatory to replace the faulty one. The old one is wired to
the control unit by insulated (red) crimps. The wiring is inside 25 x
16mm pvc mini-trunking, and the actuator is self-supporting, being
screwed to a bracket.

I do not have an any experience of crimping. The example ratchet crimper
mentioned in the DIYWiki is OOS at TLC. Other cheapish ratchet crimpers
from Screwfix, Toolstation, etc often seem to get poor reviews when used
with thinner wire and red crimps. I don't really want to lay out on a
pro-grade crimper for this one-off job, so wondered what other options
are available. It seems to me it comes down to connector blocks or
soldering, either of which I would be happy to do. But what about using
shrinkfit insulation after making the connection? It will definitely be
needed for a soldered connection, but is it required for a connector block?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

The flat plier like crimpers are perfectly ok for one off red or blue
crimps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 11:46:43 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

I do not have an any experience of crimping. The example ratchet crimper
mentioned in the DIYWiki is OOS at TLC. Other cheapish ratchet crimpers
from Screwfix, Toolstation, etc often seem to get poor reviews when used
with thinner wire and red crimps. I don't really want to lay out on a
pro-grade crimper for this one-off job, so wondered what other options
are available. It seems to me it comes down to connector blocks or
soldering, either of which I would be happy to do. But what about using
shrinkfit insulation after making the connection? It will definitely be
needed for a soldered connection, but is it required for a connector block?

Wago connectors

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65_vZ9DM1I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I do not have an any experience of crimping. The example ratchet crimper
mentioned in the DIYWiki is OOS at TLC. Other cheapish ratchet crimpers
from Screwfix, Toolstation, etc often seem to get poor reviews when used
with thinner wire and red crimps. I don't really want to lay out on a
pro-grade crimper for this one-off job, so wondered what other options
are available. It seems to me it comes down to connector blocks or
soldering, either of which I would be happy to do. But what about using
shrinkfit insulation after making the connection? It will definitely be
needed for a soldered connection, but is it required for a connector block?

Wago connectors

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65_vZ9DM1I

I was going to suggest that too, provided there is room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I do not have an any experience of crimping. The example ratchet crimper
mentioned in the DIYWiki is OOS at TLC. Other cheapish ratchet crimpers
from Screwfix, Toolstation, etc often seem to get poor reviews when used
with thinner wire and red crimps. I don't really want to lay out on a
pro-grade crimper for this one-off job, so wondered what other options
are available. It seems to me it comes down to connector blocks or
soldering, either of which I would be happy to do. But what about using
shrinkfit insulation after making the connection? It will definitely be
needed for a soldered connection, but is it required for a connector block?

Wago connectors

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65_vZ9DM1I

I was going to suggest that too, provided there is room.

I have to go to TLC today to get some heatshrink sleeving, and will get
a pack of Wago 222-412 and 773-102 at the same time. As noted, whether
or not they will fit inside 16mm high mini-trunking is something I will
find out! The other issue is whether or not the actuator wiring is
suitable for a Wago 773 (which is more likely to fit inside the trunking
than a 222) - it's stranded - but whether or not it's AWG 14 - 12 I
couldn't say. Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a use for the Wago connectors
even if they are not suitable.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

will get a pack of Wago 222-412 and 773-102 at the same time. As noted,
whether or not they will fit inside 16mm high mini-trunking is something
I will find out!

The newer 221 series are slimmer than the 222
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/19 09:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

will get a pack of Wago 222-412 and 773-102 at the same time. As noted,
whether or not they will fit inside 16mm high mini-trunking is something
I will find out!

The newer 221 series are slimmer than the 222

Thanks - they look perfect! I hadn't scrolled down far enough on the TLC
Wago page.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 1 October 2019 22:25:15 UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:

Wago connectors

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

Note that they aren't actually Wago connectors - they just look very similar. Personally I'd prefer to stick with the real McCoy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimps or connector blocks? Follow-up

Jeff Layman wrote:

will get a pack of Wago 222-412 and 773-102 at the same time. As noted,
whether or not they will fit inside 16mm high mini-trunking is something
I will find out!

The newer 221 series are slimmer than the 222

Thanks - they look perfect! I hadn't scrolled down far enough on the TLC
Wago page.

The Wago 221s were perfect, and fitted nicely inside the mini-trunking.

I connected everything up, leaving the lead length as supplied, screwed
the actuator in place, and turned it on. It blew the 5A fuse in the
switched spur. :-(

I checked everything, but could find no reason the fuse blew. I replaced
it, and tried again. It worked perfectly this time. :-)))

No idea why the fuse blew. I've since manually switched it to open/close
several times, all without problem. All that's left now is to cut the
wires to the correct length and tidy up.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

Note that they aren't actually Wago connectors

I see TS are new selling another style of not-wago connectors, useful
for joining 3-core cables

https://toolstation.com/not-wago/p78346

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 December 2019 16:14:08 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/spring-l...nectors/p65246

Note that they aren't actually Wago connectors

I see TS are new selling another style of not-wago connectors, useful
for joining 3-core cables

https://toolstation.com/not-wago/p78346

They look handy!

I've always wondered why Wago don't make anything like this. Wagos are great, but they can end up taking up far more space than they need to when all you want to do is join two multi-core cables together.