View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Lifts - not Rocket Science

On 01/10/2019 16:40, John wrote:
What is it with lifts? - they aren't rocket science.

What are the common causes - and are there generic issues that better
disign could cure?

I agree, that they do seem to be extraordinarily unreliable. I use Luton Airport Parkway station several times a week which has 3 lifts to access the three sets of platforms. I cannot remember a time when all three have been working at the same time. The station is used by huge numbers of airport customers with luggage so one often sees them struggling up the rather long staircases, which is distressing to watch. Disabled passengers - well I guess they are told to use some other station - I have no idea. I have never seen the staff carrying a wheelchair up the stairs, it's probably against H&S rules.

Last month I was waiting for a train on platforms 2/3 where the lift is very often out of action and observed with interest the lift maintenance crew in action. They had the door to the control gear open and were tinkering inside. While I waited they appeared to think they had finished and did a couple of test rides up and down, and then packed up, removed the "out of service" signs and went off. I was still waiting for a train (Thameslink trains are almost invariably late) and saw two customers use it, then the lift failed again, fortunately with nobody stuck inside. It was still out of service when I came back through the station a few hours later and stayed that way for the next few days.

The two lift maintenance technicians were both very young, indeed they looked barely out of school. Maybe that's the norm nowadays - if experienced technicians exist they never visit actual customer sites. If one bought a car that failed as often as these lifts do, one would want one's money back.

--
Clive Page