Posted to uk.d-i-y
FMurtz FMurtz is offline

Default Crimps or connector blocks?

Jeff Layman wrote:
I have just got a like-for-like replacement ACK42 (230V) window actuator
for the conservatory to replace the faulty one. The old one is wired to
the control unit by insulated (red) crimps. The wiring is inside 25 x
16mm pvc mini-trunking, and the actuator is self-supporting, being
screwed to a bracket.

I do not have an any experience of crimping. The example ratchet crimper
mentioned in the DIYWiki is OOS at TLC. Other cheapish ratchet crimpers
from Screwfix, Toolstation, etc often seem to get poor reviews when used
with thinner wire and red crimps. I don't really want to lay out on a
pro-grade crimper for this one-off job, so wondered what other options
are available. It seems to me it comes down to connector blocks or
soldering, either of which I would be happy to do. But what about using
shrinkfit insulation after making the connection? It will definitely be
needed for a soldered connection, but is it required for a connector block?

The flat plier like crimpers are perfectly ok for one off red or blue
crimps.