Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default PC problem.

On 27/09/2019 19:44, % wrote:
On 2019-09-27 11:41 a.m., Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Steve Walker wrote:
If you are running W7 then a new M/B is one of the things that
might cause issues with m$soft, unless your copy of W7 was a full
retail version.

It is. But I did get a warning, which seemed to go on its own and
not come
back. I was expecting to have to reinit W7.

If you had to sort it out, a call to Microsoft, explaining that your
motherboard had failed and you'd replaced it with an identical or even
similar one would get it re-licenced.

Telling them that the PSU failed and cooked the motherboard and you've
had to replace motherboard, processor and memory (with a 5 years newer
design) seems to be okay even!

When I built a second PC back in the day, I cloned the HD of the
first one
to save the effort of loading in all the extra software. Didn't have a
problem then either. ;-) Even with then talking to one another.

I'm a bit surprised that you don't have to competely reinstall W7
from scratch. Is the 'new' motherboard exactly the same spec as
the old one ?.

plug one drive into the other , off you go

Even if you go from an Intel M/B to an AMD M/B ?