Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default House survey and electrics

On 26/09/2019 18:24, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* ARW wrote:
Some years ago a friend of mine needed a satisfactory EICR to obtain a
mortgage. I went and did the test. Not one socket in the house was
earthed plus a few other problems. This was a 1972 build.

Do you mean the earths weren't connected at all - or a fault between CU
and true ground?

A fault. This was a 4mm 30A radial. It was quite obvious (we gutted the
place) that when the kitchen was fitted a screw had gone straight
through the T&E. The burn marks on the cable suggest that the fuse
probably blew. This destroyed the cpc before the first socket in the house.

I would guess that the fuse was replaced and that as the sockets then
worked nothing else was said about it.

Sounds like my house. Previous occupants drilled through the 30
amp cooker cable while fitting a new kitchen. The blanking plate above
the wired fuses had two large crescent-shaped melted out burn marks
above the two 30 amp fuses for cooker and ring main (one for whole
house).

I also found many sockets with no earth because the same people removed
the fancy brass sockets before moving out but snapped the 1mm cpc
behind two non-adjacent sockets when putting the original 1976 contract
jobbies back.

Many years later I discovered that the first owners had hammered a
kitchen wall fixing through the ring main, explaining the other
melted burn mark in the wylex fuse box.