Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wheelie Bin Compactors anyone?

On 27/09/2019 13:55, newshound wrote:
On 27/09/2019 13:47, Andrew wrote:
On 27/09/2019 00:07, Steve Walker wrote:
On 26/09/2019 11:34, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

Except that many councils reject recycling bins with the lids in,
because they are made of a different type of plastic.

If we're talking milk bottles here, I haven't seen one this
century with the cap made of a different material - only the
colour is different.

#
Also remove any outer plastic wrap used to decorate some
PET drinks containers.

Apparently coloured PET bottle are NOT wanted by the recyclers.
only clear PET is recyclable.

2 litre fizzy water bottles in particular and some other fizzy
drink/cordial bottles.

I hav often thought that some sort of shredder would make sense for
plastic bottles.

Might make it difficult for sorting at the recycling site,
though.

How do they sort? I know it is automated (that's why black ready meal
trays can't easily be recycled, as the systems can't see them). I
assume that they use different frequencies of "light" and the
different plastics show up differently. Separate peices rather than
whole bottles should stil be sortable. I am not talking about
cross-cut shredding into tiny pieces. Pieces a couple of inches
square would probably be small enough to pack together well and large
enough to be sorted.

SteveW

One of my complaints is the lack of information on what we might to make
things better for recycling. For example it is trivial to remove the
polythene cap from PET bottles, and not much work to take of the remains
of the PE locking ring as well. We have an incinerator opening soon and
the offer of "tours". This will be one of my questions! Another
irritation is that there seems to be no central guidance on moving
towards a consistent strategy across the country.

I would guess that part of the difficulty is the recycling facilities
available vary with region, so the options change necessarily with
region as well.

--
Cheers,

John.