Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps[_4_] Grumps[_4_] is offline

Default What do I actually need a TV Licence for?

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

I've been informed in an email from TV licensing, that you do not need a
TV license to watch pre-recorded material from a USB memory stick.
The use of BBC iPlayer also needs a TV license.
But if you're into BBC programmes, you don't need to use BBC iPlayer to
download BBC programmes.

So anything that goes onto the BBC catchup service can be watched
without needing a license.

Plenty subscription channels that don't need the licence.

Although there are none that allow watching live broadcasts without a
license.

Assuming you understand the need to pay for things you want, that is.

I think that may be the OP's original point. He does not WANT BBC
programming, but NEEDS to pay anyway.