Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What do I actually need a TV Licence for?

Brian Gaff wrote

No the key thing is having equipment of receiving any bbc channel, this
means an internet browser or mobile phone etc as well as normal receivers.

It isnt having the equipment that matters, its actually
using it to receive TV broadcasts or use iplayer etc.

Otherwise anyone with a smartphone or computer
would have to have a TV license and they don’t.

It means catch up as well as at time of transmission.

That’s very arguable with some forms of catchup.

Sadly for them though, its decriminalised so its a bit like a judgement in
a civil court. They have to get the money out of you. I think its
debatable whether they can confiscate any equipment these days.

It isnt debatable, they cant confiscate anything that can
be used to receive a TV broadcast, they have to prove that
you have actually used to to receive a TV broadcast and
even then they can't confiscate it even if they do prove that.

The thing is though that unless you are behind a van of some sort its not
rocket science to trace you.

It is actually when you stream it from the net or use iplayer.

Its harder to find off air viewers

Impossible actually.

as there are not the old tell tale signals to use by directional aerials
on a van.

Directional, not bidirectional. And those don’t
work when you record stuff off air from the TV
broadcast and watch it when it suits you time wise.

And they don’t use vans anymore anyway.

Besides these were never viable as other than making a public statement.
Catch a couple in the street and at least it used to make others think
twice.

Indeed.

I suppose when Britbox launches, all the good stuff will be on there first

There is already with Netflix etc.

and some revenue will be generated.

Lots actually.

However the massive number of companies all now wanting to get about ten
quid out of you for their stuff will, in the end backfire as nobody will
be able to afford it

Plenty clearly can with Netflix etc.

and the bottom will drop out of the market.

That’s not going to happen. The most that will happen is that
some are profitable and some will not be and will go broke. And
some like AppleTV and Netflix will do fine. Amazon too, likely.

On 26/09/2019 14:11, David wrote:
On Thursday, 26 September 2019 11:10:41 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
So what can I a and can't I watch without a licence?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The gotcha is you cant even watch the wank channels legally without a
license.

Lucas Bergkamp