Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Electric code

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 11:46:16 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Now, if you are replacing with a different brand and the connections
don't line up - - - - - - well it can turn into an all day job in a
hurry - - - - - - .

This replacement is going to take a little while. About 2 feet over the
heater is copper pipe. From there it goes to pvc or cpvc. Every thing
is glued in, no unions or cut off valves for the heater. I am sure the
heater will be a different brand.

Years ago at another house I replaced a gas heater. Not much to it.
Easy to get to and some valves. I used two pieces of some copper pipe
that is corragated ( whatever you call it) to make it flexable to do the
water connections. Much younger and broke then.

Now much older and I don't mind a reasonable 2 or 3 hundred for labor
just so I don't have to deal with the headach. It may go smooth ,or it
may require 2 or 3 trips for me to pick up parts from the store 10 miles
away. Hopefully the plumber will have the needed parts on his truck.

First time I changed mine I cut the copper and soldered in a shut-off
valve and a pair of unions. Put a union in the gas line too - about 10
inches from the pilot valve. Takles less than 10 minutes to remove it
now - not counting draining it - and the "pony" pump handles about 360
GPH - so it's less than 10 minutes to drain it. Swapping the pipe
fittings takes another 15 minutes if I have to look for my wrenches
and sealant. The rest of the job is just grunt work moving the old one
out and the new one in - - - -