Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Downsizing

On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 6:07:00 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/25/2019 11:06 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote:
Used to be every "man" had to have a circular saw - now they are all
afraid they'll cut off a finger (or something else)

I'm a man, and I'm terrified of those circular saws! It doesn't stop me
from using them, though. I just check and double check my cut paths, my
set up, etc to make sure that saw is going exactly where I want and no
where else. Holding a piece of wood in one hand and the saw in the
other is not happening!

Puckdropper

My biggest issue with the darn things is they stop cutting the instant
you cut through the cord.

Many years ago I went on 3 week camping/cabin build vacation. Power tools
running on generators. On the first day the land owner told us how he once
put his circular saw down on the cord and cut it.

"Don't cut the cord" became the saying of the build, with multiple people
yelling it out just about every time a circular saw was turned off. Kind of
a rolling, echoing chant of "Don't cut the cord!", "Don't cut the cord!",
"Don't cut the cord!"

On the final day that I was there, I put my circular saw down and, yep, I
cut the cord. The saw (and generator) made a weird sound as the cord wrapped
itself around the arbor. There was silence on the work site for a second or
so until a new echoing chant started: "He cut the cord!", "He cut the cord!",
"He cut the cord!"

One of those "You had to be there" moments that formed a lifelong memory.