Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default House survey and electrics

On 25/09/2019 17:20, Andrew wrote:
On 25/09/2019 11:57, Reentrant wrote:
Our recent Homebuyer Valuation didn't even mention electrics, even
though it had an ancient fuse-wire consumer unit.

That is not a survey. It merely informs the mortgage company
and would be buyer that the property actually exists.

Even if the 'surveyor' can see serious issues he won't
mention them specifically, but just add an ambiguous
phrase that the buyer might want to consider.

If you want to be told the full facts, you need a full
structural survey.

Having had a long discussion with our surveyor last time, I did not find
that to be the case... The full structural surveys are frequently way
over the top unless there is a particular concern about some element of
structure - and then you normally need to decide what you are having
tested and why. The "home buyer's report" style give (a bit) more detail
than your normal valuation survey - but the are usually very limited in
scope and only suitable for fairly "standard" property types, and
normally allow for only short comments on problems. The surveyors doing
valuation surveys often have quite a bit more scope to tailor the survey
to your actual needs than say going for the HBR.

So when getting ours done last time we moved I actually found the basic
valuation survey with some extra instructions was the most flexible.
(which was basically were "concentrate on anything that looks like it
could be a serious issue, and ignore anything plumbing or wiring related
as I can assess that myself!")

--
Cheers,

John.