Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Electric code

On Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 11:46:16 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

We did similar when our water heater went. It was a bitch getting the
old one up the stairs, because we have no floor drain and couldn't
get the last of the water out. IIRC the effort involved making a
go-devil and the use of a block and tackle and come-along.

Mu water heater problem is over. Got a call about 8:30 this morning and
the local plumbing company said two men were on the way. They had to
pick up a heater. I cut the power, unwired the heater and started
draining it. The heater is about a foot or two below ground level so
could not get all the water out as I used a hose pipe to send the water
out to the yard so they would not have a muddy mess to work in. They
hooked a small pump to it and finished the draining.

Wired the heater up without a disconnect. I was told yesterday by the
plumber that around here if it is an old instalation and has 2 hot wires
and no ground wire a new wire would have to be ran. As my heater had
two hot wires and a bare ground wire they could put it back as found.

Anyway I was charged for 2 hours labor (total $ 200) as they wree here
about an hour and a half, maybe less. To me it is worth $ 200 to have
the job done. That included hauling off the old heater. I have a truck
,so could have picked one up and hauled the old one off about 15 miles
away.

The total for everything was about $ 950 which seemed fair to me as the
Heater was almost $ 600, a 40 gallon Rheem. That is what the old one
was and don't know how old it ws as it was here when i bought the house
about 15 years ago. and they listed the parts used to put it in. Sure
beats that $ 1700 Benjamin Franklin wanted. I knew at that price I was
being ripped off.

Sounds like a good deal to me.