Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Wheelie Bin Compactors anyone?

On 25/09/2019 15:27, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:54:05 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Fortnightly collections and small wheelie bins have always caused a bit
of an issue, but now Rother council have decided that bottles have to go
in the re-cycling rather than a separate bin thus further reducing bin
volume. So I've been looking into 'wheelie bin squashers'

Does anyone have a good design or commercial source? Accepting the fact
that at my age I'm not going to climb inside the bin and use size 13
boots one of the type that hook on the hinge / handle bit and give
mechanical advantage of about 2:1 look sensible, but commercial ones are
working out at about £45 and come from Germany anyway !

I invite comments from those with personal experience

Andrew

I'd be concerned about breaking the bin - they're not that sturdy.

Also will the wagon be able to physically lift the more dense bin ? The
ones I've seen appear to rely on a jerk rather than a smooth progression
(which will add to the strain on the lifting handle).

Returning to the question, something like a brick on a stick might do
it ? Or a metal patio umbrella base on a pole. In either case open lid,
and repeated "thwack" until flat.

Plastic bottles are easy to flatten. When you boil a kettle, pour a
beaker full of the excess not used for tea into the milk/coke
bottle or whatever, put the cap on, give it quick swirl and
poor out the contents.

While it still almost too hot to touch, flatten it with a bit
of cardboard for few seconds. Voila a flat bottle.

Glass bottles, just smash them up. Not much comes in glass these
days anyway unless you are wino.