Posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Default Supreme Court

On 25/09/2019 08:50, Norman Wells wrote:
On 25/09/2019 07:31, Stephen Cole wrote:
Roger wrote:

Anybody who thinks labour are acting in some sort of virtuous manner to
save the nation needs a good dose of political realism. It's nothing
more
than a political power game, and the rest of the country are footing
the bill.

Labour are doing what Labour should be doing; destroying their enemy.

They were lucky that the Supreme Court decision drove their dual civil
wars over Tom Watson and Brexit off the front pages of the newspapers.

The idea, I thought, of an opposition was that it should be a
government-in-waiting, champing at the bit to get into power and do
better than the other lot.

What does it say about Labour that it is scared stiff of an election
which is the only way that could do that?

They are being both tactical and strategic at the moment. They have
Boris stuck in mid-air on a zip wire and can poke him with sharp sticks
as they like. I suspect he is headed for the record books as shortest
ever serving Prime Minister. It was a pity that Corbyn didn't do it on
day one which would then have set a record that could never be broken.

Allowing the clock to wind down works for both sides at the moment.

It's an utterly bizarre situation where the opposition is seemingly
unprepared to govern, unwilling to take over, and so lacking in
confidence in itself that it won't even try.

They are smart enough not to fall into the trap of executing a vote of
no confidence and then having Boris set a date for the election after
his disastrous hard Brexit has been forced through.

We already know conclusively that Boris has scant regard for the truth.
He has previously been dismissed from a ministerial post for lying.

Remind me what voting majority does he have in the house now?

We live in interesting times (Chinese usage). At least the Americans
have the option of impeaching their Liar in Chief to get rid of him.

How many more decent Tory MPs will have to defect or be thrown out
before the rest of parliament has a working majority. Both Labour and
Tory party are racing towards hard line zealot positions at opposite
ends of the political spectrum. It opens up a big gap in the middle
ground where sensible policies might be found. I wish the LibDems luck.

The Brexit party will steal votes from both Labour and Tory in the next
general election. It will almost certainly be a hung parliament again.

Be careful what you wish for.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown