Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Electric code

I called a company about replacing an electric water heater. The one
already in the house (about 15 or more years old) does not have an
electrical disconnect near it. They said they would have to send out a
licened electrician to install one as that is the code now.

Is it true they have to install the disconnect near the heater on a
replacement ? Could be a local code, but I doubt it.

I knew I was being ripped off when they wanted $ 1700 to replace the
water heater. They cut it to $ 1300 when I balked at the price. Said
instead of a 6 year warrenty it would be cut to 2 years at the lower
price.

A heater should be around $ 500 or less at the local Lowes store. I
would think that even at $ 100 an hour they should be able to put it in
for $ 1000 allowing for all kinds of markups.

I did get a local plummer and he told me the labor he charged was $ 100
an hour which seems reasonable to me. Just talking to him on the phone
he said probably around $ 800 to $ 900. Which seem sfair to me.

I could put it in , but where it is at is a pain to deal with and I hate
plumming.