Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC problem.

In article ,
Lee wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

Does it emit a series of beeps? The number/duration of beeps indicate
what could be wrong. Google beep codes for your motherboard.

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all. Out of interest I swapped
the BIOS chip from a similar but not identical broken MB I'd kept. Same
thing. Comes to the BIOS page, but then dies totally when saved.

Just a quick sanity check - are you testing this with a hard drive or
other boot media connected?
I've had hard drives with corrupt boot sectors cause this symptom in the
past...

With absolutely nothing connected, saving the BIOS page results in not
being able to even get to that again. Except by removing/replacing the
battery. Then the whole cycle repeats.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.