Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC problem.

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Going the same way as Firewire and parallel ports I'm afraid.

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

There is this if money was no option :-

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...cusb2328i.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 16:36, Andrew wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Going the same way as Firewire and parallel ports I'm afraid.

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

There is this if money was no option :-

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...cusb2328i.html

And even this one to control over a lan :-

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...etrs2321p.html

This one has a pdf on the Novatech website
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Quite a few still do, if only as a header for connection to a backplate
mounted socket (not usually supplied). Last month I bought a motherboard
as part of my eldest son's birthday present, that had one and it is a
modern one for a Ryzen processor.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Serial ports don't seem to want to die. My 6month old Dell docking
station at work for the laptop has all sorts of modern ****
(Thunderbolt, USB C connectors, HDMI and DP video connectors) and a
serial port. My gast was flabbered when I saw it on there. So a
surprising number of shiny new things still have serial ports.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Serial ports can be replaced with USB converters.

If this is important, ie you're using Win98 or 95, where you have direct
access to the port pins, then it might be worth looking at eBay for used
Motherboards.

There are many systems that still use direct control of parallel ports
through the IO port using DOS or early windows so there must be a demand
for these M/Bs.

I might suggest take the new battery out and see if you can get the BIOS
screen again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 16:36, Andrew wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Going the same way as Firewire and parallel ports I'm afraid.

Hoever Lindy will do you a serial parallel card that will plug into most
motherboard slots

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

Bios dont have to
OS will pick it up

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

Does it emit a series of beeps? The number/duration of beeps indicate
what could be wrong. Google beep codes for your motherboard.

Also, USB to serial port leads/dongles are available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 16:36, Andrew wrote:

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...cusb2328i.html

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Ad.../dp/B0753HBT12

somewhat cheaper for one port.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Common fault. Your BIOS 'CMOS' memory settings are corrupt.

Find your motherboard manual, and details there on how to move a jumper
to clear it.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 16:36, Andrew wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Going the same way as Firewire and parallel ports I'm afraid.

Hoever Lindy will do you a serial parallel card that will plug into most
motherboard slots

Latest Intel M/Bs don't have PCI slots any longer, which means
the cheapest combo serial/parallel cards that once could be bought for
less than £10 are obsolete

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

Bios dont have to
OS will pick it up

Rubbish. The OS needs the bios to use the hardware

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 21:46, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Windows hasn't used the BIOs to use hardware for decades.
Why do you think you need drivers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 17:49, Fredxx wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Serial ports can be replaced with USB converters.

Yes and no. Although they work easily for most things, for some pieces
of equipment that you might want to connect to, it can take trying 2 or
3 different converters before you find one that works.

Megasquirt engine management systems are one example, while some PLCs
are another.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

Particularly if any of the caps look bad. Still very unusual that the
PS fan only runs while the reset switch is held in tho. Does the new
PS still do that ? If it doesn’t, likely just an usual original PS and
a separate fault with that.

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Plenty still do. It's laptops that mostly don’t anymore and you can still
get serial cards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 08:50:07 +1000, AlexK, better known as cantankerous

Particularly if any

Nym-shifting again, you abnormal, pathological, 85-year-old, trolling,
senile pest from Australia?

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2019 22:51, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/09/2019 17:49, Fredxx wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Serial ports can be replaced with USB converters.

Yes and no. Although they work easily for most things, for some pieces
of equipment that you might want to connect to, it can take trying 2 or
3 different converters before you find one that works.

That is why I now go for a brand rather than cheapie no-name USB converters.

Megasquirt engine management systems are one example, while some PLCs
are another.

I don't know. There aren't many chipsets and so few drivers exist. I've
also made my own using an ARM processor and used the Windows native
"Usbser.sys" with success.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 22/09/2019 16:36, Andrew wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have
is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Going the same way as Firewire and parallel ports I'm afraid.

Hoever Lindy will do you a serial parallel card that will plug into most
motherboard slots

Latest Intel M/Bs don't have PCI slots any longer,

But most have pcie slots.

which means the cheapest combo serial/parallel cards that once could be
bought for less than £10 are obsolete

But pcie serial port cards arent.

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

Bios dont have to
OS will pick it up

Rubbish. The OS needs the bios to use the hardware

No it does not. It is free to have a driver for the hardware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not since MSDOS.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 15:38:28 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
asshole?

which means the cheapest combo serial/parallel cards that once could be
bought for less than £10 are obsolete

But pcie serial port cards arent.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
asshole?

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

Bios dont have to
OS will pick it up

Rubbish. The OS needs the bios to use the hardware

No it does not. It is free to have a driver for the hardware.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane auto-contradicting
asshole?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.
So looks like an MB failure?

Common fault. Your BIOS 'CMOS' memory settings are corrupt.

I had a similar sounding issue with two different ASUS models a few
years ago, some sort of optimal memory speed setting would kick in, then
at next boot it would think the setting wasn't right, so revert the
setting, power itself off, and power back on aft a few seconds with the
"safe" setting, but it seemed to get stuck in a loop ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCIe-to-Dual-PCI/183847526278

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

Bios dont have to
OS will pick it up

Rubbish. The OS needs the bios to use the hardware

Not with PnP operating systems ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Quite a few still do, if only as a header for connection to a backplate
mounted socket (not usually supplied). Last month I bought a motherboard
as part of my eldest son's birthday present, that had one and it is a
modern one for a Ryzen processor.

Interesting. That is what this one has - Com1 being merely a socket on the
MB. So I have the adaptor unit. But finding out what MBs include this
today seems difficult (I've only really looked on the CPC site - most of
the others seem fixated on gaming machines)

It also has a DigiGram audio card that has balanced in outs as well as the
various digital options. And a video capture card. I'm rather wary of the
costs of updating all of those.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Yes and no. Although they work easily for most things, for some pieces
of equipment that you might want to connect to, it can take trying 2 or
3 different converters before you find one that works.

That is why I now go for a brand rather than cheapie no-name USB converters.

But it's the cheap, no-name 'generic' ones that often work better in
my experience rather than needing custom drivers.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
Serial ports don't seem to want to die. My 6month old Dell docking
station at work for the laptop has all sorts of modern ****
(Thunderbolt, USB C connectors, HDMI and DP video connectors) and a
serial port. My gast was flabbered when I saw it on there. So a
surprising number of shiny new things still have serial ports.

Think they are still used for comms on CAD machines.
I use it with MegaSquirt. You can get USB to serial adaptors, but they
don't seem as robust as full serial.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 06:38, jeikppkywk wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

But you wont be able to buy those for anywhere near the rock-bottom
price that PCI serial cards were on sale for.

Startech do sell a conversion riser card that plugs into a PCIe
slot, and allows a PCI card to piggy back onto it for anyone who
is desparate to keep using an old specialist PCI card in use.

At least you can still get combo PCI cards to provide a
serial port and parallel port though. Whether the latest
bios could cope is another matter.

Bios dont have to
OS will pick it up

Rubbish. The OS needs the bios to use the hardware

No it does not. It is free to have a driver for the hardware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Serial ports can be replaced with USB converters.

Not in this case. The computer is on the opposite side of the room to my
workbench. A long serial lead works just fine. A USB to serial convertor
with a long lead - either serial or USB - doesn't.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It also has a DigiGram audio card that has balanced in outs as well as the
various digital options. And a video capture card. I'm rather wary of the
costs of updating all of those.

Have you tried removing both those cards, and shorting the
'reset cmos' pins, then trying to boot it again with minimal
hardware ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

Does it emit a series of beeps? The number/duration of beeps indicate
what could be wrong. Google beep codes for your motherboard.

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all. Out of interest I swapped
the BIOS chip from a similar but not identical broken MB I'd kept. Same
thing. Comes to the BIOS page, but then dies totally when saved.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Serial ports can be replaced with USB converters.

Yes and no. Although they work easily for most things, for some pieces
of equipment that you might want to connect to, it can take trying 2 or
3 different converters before you find one that works.

Megasquirt engine management systems are one example, while some PLCs
are another.

Quite. It's used for MS in this workshop. A USB converter works OK between
laptop and MS in the car, but doesn't like the cable runs here.

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mm0fmf wrote:
Serial ports don't seem to want to die. My 6month old Dell docking
station at work for the laptop has all sorts of modern ****
(Thunderbolt, USB C connectors, HDMI and DP video connectors) and a
serial port. My gast was flabbered when I saw it on there. So a
surprising number of shiny new things still have serial ports.

Think they are still used for comms on CAD machines.
I use it with MegaSquirt. You can get USB to serial adaptors, but they
don't seem as robust as full serial.

Don't many AV amps have a serial port that allows it to be hidden from
view and connected to some other controlling system ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

Does it emit a series of beeps? The number/duration of beeps indicate
what could be wrong. Google beep codes for your motherboard.

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all. Out of interest I swapped
the BIOS chip from a similar but not identical broken MB I'd kept. Same
thing. Comes to the BIOS page, but then dies totally when saved.

Just a quick sanity check - are you testing this with a hard drive or
other boot media connected?
I've had hard drives with corrupt boot sectors cause this symptom in the
past...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
It also has a DigiGram audio card that has balanced in outs as well as
the various digital options. And a video capture card. I'm rather wary
of the costs of updating all of those.

Have you tried removing both those cards, and shorting the 'reset cmos'
pins, then trying to boot it again with minimal hardware ?.

It's totally stripped down. Only the main SSD and the video card (for DVI)
in place. And I've tried the video card in another machine - it's OK.

I'll try and find out how to reset the CMOS. No idea where the manual is -
I might have to Google.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:19:23 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Be warned also that there are two common, incompatible pinouts for those
headers. So buying a cable with a DE-9 on a plate on the other end may or
may not work.

I always make my own as required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all.

The beeps will be as you switch on, possibly when you are not pressing a
function key to get into the bios.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2019 13:09, Chris Green wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

Yes and no. Although they work easily for most things, for some pieces
of equipment that you might want to connect to, it can take trying 2 or
3 different converters before you find one that works.

That is why I now go for a brand rather than cheapie no-name USB converters.

But it's the cheap, no-name 'generic' ones that often work better in
my experience rather than needing custom drivers.

they are nearly all the prolific chip set and work with every serial
device I have including the telescope which is supposed to be fussy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lee wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

Does it emit a series of beeps? The number/duration of beeps indicate
what could be wrong. Google beep codes for your motherboard.

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all. Out of interest I swapped
the BIOS chip from a similar but not identical broken MB I'd kept. Same
thing. Comes to the BIOS page, but then dies totally when saved.

Just a quick sanity check - are you testing this with a hard drive or
other boot media connected?
I've had hard drives with corrupt boot sectors cause this symptom in the
past...

With absolutely nothing connected, saving the BIOS page results in not
being able to even get to that again. Except by removing/replacing the
battery. Then the whole cycle repeats.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all.

The beeps will be as you switch on, possibly when you are not pressing a
function key to get into the bios.

Correct. No beeps at all at power up. When you save the BIOS, IIRC, the
machine would normally re-boot. So beep when it does.

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
But it's the cheap, no-name 'generic' ones that often work better in
my experience rather than needing custom drivers.

they are nearly all the prolific chip set and work with every serial
device I have including the telescope which is supposed to be fussy.

Lots of reports on the MegaSquirt forum of some not working with that.
Once reason I liked having the serial port. Gets rid of a variable.

--
*We never really grow*up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
It also has a DigiGram audio card that has balanced in outs as well as the
various digital options. And a video capture card. I'm rather wary of the
costs of updating all of those.

Have you tried removing both those cards, and shorting the
'reset cmos' pins, then trying to boot it again with minimal
hardware ?.

Found how to by Googling, but it implied all this does is cancel the time
and date settings. Which removing the battery does anyway. But tried it.

Same result.

Rather than going to the BIOS page, I just let it run, and it did boot
normally. Shut it down properly, then switched on again. Nothing - no beep.

I've bought a used identical MB off Ebay for not a lot, so hope that will
give me a few more years.

Just for info the current one is an Asus AN8-SLI Delux. Never got round to
using the RAID facility on it.

I'd be happy to buy a brand new one if I could be sure all my cards etc
would work with it. But not sure what to go for.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

After saving the BIOS settings, no beep at all.

The beeps will be as you switch on, possibly when you are not pressing a
function key to get into the bios.

Correct. No beeps at all at power up. When you save the BIOS, IIRC, the
machine would normally re-boot. So beep when it does.

I think at this point the only useful advice is if you know someone who
has a POST test card - not worth buying one of course.
At least then you'd know if it was even trying to POST and where it was
stopping.