Posted to uk.d-i-y
mm0fmf[_2_] mm0fmf[_2_] is offline

Default PC problem.

The new PS arrived. It's not that. ;-)

Stripped the thing down and cleaned everything. The Asus board I have is
known to have a problem with the chipset cooling, so removed that and
cleaned and applied new paste. Battery was at about 2v so replaced that
too.

It fired up and selected the BOIS page. But on configuring, saving and
exit, back to not firing up at all.

So looks like an MB failure?

I'd just buy a new motherboard, but this machine is configured for my
needs including a Serial port and not sure many new ones have this?

Serial ports don't seem to want to die. My 6month old Dell docking
station at work for the laptop has all sorts of modern ****
(Thunderbolt, USB C connectors, HDMI and DP video connectors) and a
serial port. My gast was flabbered when I saw it on there. So a
surprising number of shiny new things still have serial ports.