Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 90% Of Plastic Waste Polluting Earth's Oceans Comes From Asia and Africa

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 12:52:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 07:20:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 10:07:28 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
"While westerners are being told to alter their lifestyles and have
fewer children to save the planet, virtually nothing is being said
about or to the people in the countries responsible for the vast
majority of pollution."

Another example of the liberal / leftist decrepid mentality.

If my neighbor throws his garbage in the street, that doesn't mean
I have an excuse to throw mine in the street.

Cindy Hamilton

I certainly agree the answer for everyone is not to litter and to be
more diligent about picking it up but if you look around you see most
of the litter here that makes it to the sea comes from the same
people who demonstrate very little responsibility in the other aspects
of their personal lives. I also think placing a bounty on clean
bottles and cans with legible labels like they do in your state is
just chipping around the edges of the problem. A bottle in the gutter
with a missing label has no cash value so there is no incentive to
pick it up as well as any other trash that doesn't carry a bounty.
We don't have a trash/litter problem around here, people pick up the
litter, no matter what it is. This is not a government program, it is
just neighbors being good neighbors. My river is pretty much pristine
and if there is a stray bottle or can in the mangroves or in the swale
near their house, someone takes that 30 seconds out of their busy day
to pick it up.

I don't expect the irresponsible to do that, in Africa or in
Washington DC.

It's not just litter, though. We need an incentive to develop better
everything: more biodegradable plastics (perhaps from plant sources),
fuels and lubricants, the whole ball of wax.

Cindy Hamilton