Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Flourescent bulb whines

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:02:36 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/20/2019 8:04 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
I have a Sylvania 75w CFL fluorescent bulb that makes a high-pitched
whine when it is on. I could understand a 60hz or even 120hz hum, but
what could possibly make a high-pitched whine? Otherwise it works
fine, and others from the same package do not make the noise.

-dan z-

I've seen the same thing. Cannot remember the brand. Mildly annoying
and I would put them in places where noise was not as noticeable like
garage or outside. Still burning through retained CFL's but replacing
with LED's.

I gave my CFL's to my son a couple years ago. When LED's got pretty cheap I figured the
cost of operating the CFL's - just because I had them - was a losing proposition.
If my son didn't take them, I would have tossed them. They didn't cost much anyway.