Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flourescent bulb whines

I have a Sylvania 75w CFL fluorescent bulb that makes a high-pitched
whine when it is on. I could understand a 60hz or even 120hz hum, but
what could possibly make a high-pitched whine? Otherwise it works
fine, and others from the same package do not make the noise.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2019 8:04 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
I have a Sylvania 75w CFL fluorescent bulb that makes a high-pitched
whine when it is on. I could understand a 60hz or even 120hz hum, but
what could possibly make a high-pitched whine? Otherwise it works
fine, and others from the same package do not make the noise.

-dan z-

I've seen the same thing. Cannot remember the brand. Mildly annoying
and I would put them in places where noise was not as noticeable like
garage or outside. Still burning through retained CFL's but replacing
with LED's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:02:36 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/20/2019 8:04 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
I have a Sylvania 75w CFL fluorescent bulb that makes a high-pitched
whine when it is on. I could understand a 60hz or even 120hz hum, but
what could possibly make a high-pitched whine? Otherwise it works
fine, and others from the same package do not make the noise.

-dan z-

I've seen the same thing. Cannot remember the brand. Mildly annoying
and I would put them in places where noise was not as noticeable like
garage or outside. Still burning through retained CFL's but replacing
with LED's.

I gave my CFL's to my son a couple years ago. When LED's got pretty cheap I figured the
cost of operating the CFL's - just because I had them - was a losing proposition.
If my son didn't take them, I would have tossed them. They didn't cost much anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 10:40:16 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , lcgh-
says...

I have a Sylvania 75w CFL fluorescent bulb that makes a high-pitched
whine when it is on. I could understand a 60hz or even 120hz hum, but
what could possibly make a high-pitched whine? Otherwise it works
fine, and others from the same package do not make the noise.

In the old days there was a ballast in the fixture. It was just some
laminated iron with wire wrapped around it (in simple terms) The
laminations would get loose and viborate.

Newer bulbs may have an electronic circuit and that large heavy iron
core replaced by a much smaller one and the circuit changes the 60 hz AC
to a much higher frequency so less iron can be used.

Probably correct. I've been using these bulbs for decades, and this is
the first time one has done this. I'm guess it's not dangerous, but it
is annoying. Thanks.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default....ignid=XR014887

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2019 8:04 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
I have a Sylvania 75w CFL fluorescent bulb that makes a high-pitched
whine when it is on.

It must be a liberal.