Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Downsizing

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 22:02:24 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:40:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 11:20:53 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/18/2019 7:35 AM, Bob La Londe wrote: On 9/18/2019 7:14 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/17/2019 11:49 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I choose a heavy stable base (100+ lbs maybe a lot more), because I am
not the only person in the shop sometimes.

Not exactly a bench grinder, but, you might enjoy this guys build.
He's a machinist with a "to die for shop", and skills to match. It's a
5 part series, but his channel has lots of really nice shop built
tools. This one fits your "maybe a lot more" thinking:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXzo...kXtdsrlhc1_Bde

or more simply:

https://tinyurl.com/y5kds98z

P.S. I'd probably have some of the bigger old iron he has or similar
except when I built my shop its was only intend to be a warehouse for my
contracting business. I only ran a 100 AMP drop to the "warehouse" for
light, a few outlets, and a small air conditioner for the office. I
figured that was overkill. Boy was I wrong.

When I start getting multiple machines going I start adding up my
electrical usage in my head to make sure I'm not going to trip the main
if the office air conditioner or the air compressor comes on (both draw
about the same peak on start up.) There was once or twice when I heard
a couple machines load up at once that I thought to myself, "I'm sure
glad I am the only one with a remote for the overhead doors."

I have turned down some pretty impressive equipment that would have been
free except for the cost to transport it because if I ran it I'd have to
turn off everything else in the shop. LOL.

Do you at least have the lights on their own breaker? It really sucks when
a tool plunges the whole shop into darkness if it trips the breaker.

WShen it kicks the main breaker having the lights on their own
doesn't help unless they are running on a battery - - - -

If it kicks the main breaker instead of the branch breaker you really
need to get an electrician to look at the wiring because there's
something wrong.