Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT How old are you and how were you taught to read?

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:11:19 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Tony Mountifield" wrote in message
In article ,
micky wrote:
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 11 Sep 2019 06:41:30 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:
64. Phonics. I had the same teacher twice, in 3rd and again
in 6th
grade.

You were put back 3 years! I've never heard of that before. I be you
were taller than all your classmates. You seem to write pretty well
now. Congratulations.

Teachers don't always teach the same age/grade. They may teach one age
in one academic year, and a different age in another year. I had the
same teacher two years in a row, as the school felt it gave the class
more continuity (this was between ages 9 and 11, back in the 1960s).

At what age in US schools do they make the transition from having the same
teacher for all subjects to have different teachers for different subjects.
I think by age 9 and certainly by age 11 I had one teacher for English,
another for Math(s), another for French etc - this was in the UK.

That is typically 7th grade (Middle School or Jr High school).

High School is either 9th or 10th grade but the transition somewhat
seamless in the public system only offering a wider choice of classes
in high school. The private high school I went to (grade 9-12) was
run more like college. If you didn't have a class you didn't have to
be there and you set up your own schedule. Someone motivated could get
all their credits by the end of 11th grade and graduate. You could
also drag it out for 5 or 6 years if you wanted to. it was your money.
We did have kids in their 5th year retaking classes they didn't do
well in to pump up their transcript. That was back when it was harder
to get into college tho and admissions offices wanted that straight A
thing..