Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] ben@blaukopf.com is offline

Default REQUEST - very rough estimate of cost of a garden wall

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 3:16:38 PM UTC+1, Dr S Lartius wrote:
On Thursday, 19 September 2019 14:42:11 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Evidently you need to look closer, I don't see two skins...

Look he

https://goo.gl/maps/BHricQGFm5z7BX2z7

The OP is correct.

Yes; I had seen the wall before, including before it had plants!

I just met a builder, by chance, who said that bricklaying costs at least £1 per brick, so I'll get a minimum value from the surface area of the proposed wall divided by the surface area of the side of a brick.

I suspect that price is all-in, for laying commons. No way does just the labour cost £1/brick unless a bricky is earning £500 a day nowadays..

Wall say 60 feet long by 3 feet high by 2 sides = 360 sq ft. Leaning out of window with tape measure, brick+mortar is 9 ins by 3 ins, calculator says 360*144/27 = 1920 - for bricklaying alone ~ £2000 minimum.

Google swiftly finds that ordinary good bricks are about £1 each, so another £2000 for bricks. Then there's foundations, requiring digging up a 40-yr old unkempt hedge and I suppose pouring concrete, buying earth ...

Total, therefore, at least several thousand pounds. Any improvements for the above?

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: dr.s.lartius@ |