Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Downsizing

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 10:54:21 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
I don't have as much shop space any more, as my shop now has to share
duties with a garage.

So between a bandsaw, jointer, planer, RAS, table saw, and circular saw,
what tools can be combined to cover the basic operations we need to do?
Crosscut, rip, and maybe resaw. I'm not sure I trust my RAS to rip,
it's missing important pieces like the anti-kickback pawls.

Puckdropper

If you are not comfortable with the RAS, then if you are to get rid of one, then get rid of the RAS.

I like all my tools, despite not using some of them often (enough?). There are several elements of this discussion that apply to my shop, though I have a relatively large shop - 24X30 main area, 11x24 garage area- for a hobbyist.

Recently, I find I need to consolidate or reduce some aspect of some non-power tool items. I once had my slow grinder mounted on 2X stock, clamped in place when needed. I later mounted it on a rolling cabinet, in the garage. With making space for the big jointer, I need to get rid of the cabinet. Similarly, I have an anvil on a rolling base. Both of these have foot print space I'd like to remove or reduce.

I could cite further my-shop examples related to this discussion. Rather than get rid of tools, I need to get rid of some of my lumber cache.... either make more projects or donate to someone who needs a bit of lumber. Lately, I've been posting on Craigslist, giving small caches of lumber to folks.

As stated, you know what's best for your scenario. Just use your best judgement.

Sonny