Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Downsizing

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 22:10:42 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 9/18/2019 9:02 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:40:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 11:20:53 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/18/2019 7:35 AM, Bob La Londe wrote: On 9/18/2019 7:14 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/17/2019 11:49 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

[SNIP]

I have turned down some pretty impressive equipment that would have been
free except for the cost to transport it because if I ran it I'd have to
turn off everything else in the shop. LOL.

Do you at least have the lights on their own breaker? It really sucks when
a tool plunges the whole shop into darkness if it trips the breaker.

WShen it kicks the main breaker having the lights on their own
doesn't help unless they are running on a battery - - - -

That would be true if there weren't any circuits in the panel, just the
100 amp breaker. If the power tool was on, say, a 60amp circuit
breaker, wouldn't the lights remain on assuming a separate 20amp circuit?

His problem is when the 40 amp cabinet saw is running, with1,400
watts of shop lights and a 20 amp dust collector when both the air
conditioner and beer fridge decide to start at the same time and it
kicks the MAIN breaker in his shop sub-panel. Or the thickness planer,
drum sander, and jointer are all running along with the dust collector
and air conditioner - all on different properly sized circuits and he
decides to start the 2Hp router - you know - the old one without
soft-start that needs to be on a 20 amp breaker because it kicks a 15
every time it starts. POP goes the MAIN breaker. (mabee a few other
"power suckers" running at the same time)

Having the ONLY garage door opener means SHMBO doesn't open the garage
door at a critical point in the power consumption curve - - - -