Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 15 vs. 20 Amp 3-Way Wall Switches

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:43:48 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 13:00:15 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 9/17/19 2:36 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:38:10 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 9/16/19 9:47 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

On a "snap action" switch remaining in the off position would
constitute a switch failure.

The ones I've seen are not switch failures, but balancing the switch at
the point where the spring forces are equal
. Not possible on a properly functioning "snap action" switch.
Perhaps on a "silent" switch - but even then I'd be questioning how
long the switch was going to last. Snap action switches generally
outlast the silent type significantly.(they don't arc)

Absolutes don't exist. There is less of an arc because the time where
the contacts are ALMOST touching is less. In the same way, there MUST be
a balance point between the springs (switch halfway between positions),
just like any other balance point. This balance point can be very small
and nearly impossible to get the switch into, but it DOES exist. This is
a consequence of the switch being "break before make" as most are.

Typically a snap switch will stay made on one side until it reaches
that tipping point to flip the other way. Hence the term snap switch.
The contacts are not directly connected to the handle of the switch.
There is a toggle mechanism in between. I suppose you could have one
with a defective toggle but that would be in the trash at my house.

Correct - and generally whenthe toggle DOES fail it just stays in one
position or the other.
On the other hand, I can take virtually any silent 3 way toggle
switch and get it to sit in the off-off position virtually any time I
want