Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 15 vs. 20 Amp 3-Way Wall Switches

In article ,
says...
wanted to control an attic fan. I wanted 3 options: Off, On, and
Auto. Auto means the fan is controlled by the thermostat in the attic.
A SPDT with center off would do this, but none are available. I ended
up using one of those double switches (2 SPST single-gang). Available
in paddle and decora, and relatively cheap (I think $17).

Generally that would be accomplished using a bat-handle type switch
supplied by the fan manufacturer or the control manufacturer - but 2
switches in parallel would do the job too

Most people (wives) don't want a bat handle switch in their hall.

The attic fan where I used to live had a switch for 'on, off, timer'.
You turned it on all the time , cut it off, or there was a timer next to
the switch. It was on a flat plate about the size of most light
switches, but the switch was large and almost flat. You pushed it in
toward the wall for off or timer and it stayed in the middle for off.

---