Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15 vs. 20 Amp 3-Way Wall Switches

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 09:30:41 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 12:12:43 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
When you say "3-way" - do you mean 2-pole center thow - with center
off? A switch that can be set to 3 different physical positions?

What I heard is that its called "3-way" because wires are run to 3
locations (2 switches and light/fan). If you have three switches, its 4-way.

+1

I was looking for either a paddle or decora-style 3-way (with center
off) but they're not available at home despot (canada) but they are in
the US, and they're like $50. I seem to remember them being more common
years ago (and not so expensive) - ?

A double-throw switch does have center off, although it can be difficult
to get the switch into that position (a spring tries to pull it away
from the center). I have had this happen accidentally, one switch in
this (center) position means the light can't be turned on at the other
location.

That's not really true. Sounds like you had a particular switch that
could be positioned in between, in an unstable position. Some switches
have a center-off and if they do, it's clearly a detent position and
the switch is spec's as having a center off. If they don't then I guess
it depends on the design, how easy it is to get it into a position it's
not really meant to be in.

When they are 59 cents in a barrel on the end cap, who would think it
could just be bad? Or part of batch of a 1000 bad ones because even
the Chinese have trouble finding good help.
Mass production = Mass mistakes.
(See any recall)

--
101 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." [Robert Heinlein,
"Notebooks of Lazarus Long"]