Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 15 vs. 20 Amp 3-Way Wall Switches

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 08:36:57 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Clare Snyder wrote:

I was looking for either a paddle or decora-style 3-way (with
center off) but they're not available at home despot (canada)
but they are in the US, and they're like $50. I seem to
remember them being more common years ago (and not so expensive)?

A "three way" switch is a SPDT switch used in pairs to switch a
device from 2 different locations.

Have never seen a center off SPDT switch in paddle or decora in
Canada the odd momemtary contact (click one way for on and one way
for off for low voltage remote control - or this one:
Single-Pole-Double-Throw-Center-Off-Momentary-Contact

There is a leviton constant-contact (not momentary contact) center off
and like I said home despot US has them ($50 - $60 if I recall).

can't think offhand where one would use one in a house - - - -

I wanted to control an attic fan. I wanted 3 options: Off, On, and
Auto. Auto means the fan is controlled by the thermostat in the attic.
A SPDT with center off would do this, but none are available. I ended
up using one of those double switches (2 SPST single-gang). Available
in paddle and decora, and relatively cheap (I think $17).

My deal was a two speed ceiling fan (whole house deal). It was common,
hi, lo. so a 3 way was a natural for speed (SPDT) but you still need
an off. I had a 4" box there anyway so I went with 2 switches. Being a
motor load I did go for spec grade, motor rated switches but I was
still out the door for $5 or so for two (a regular 3 way and an SPST)
snap switches in Decora.