Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 15 vs. 20 Amp 3-Way Wall Switches

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 12:59:29 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Wade Gattett wrote:

Two 3-way switches controlling a big Hunter Original ceiling fan
on a 20 amp circuit worked fine for 33 years of occasional use.

I decided to replace both switches and picked up two 20A Leviton
3-ways.

Why would a ceiling can need a 20-amp switch?

At the local Home Depot, the 20A switches were twice the cost of
the 15A ones. I'm thinking if the price difference was the same
33 years ago, maybe that's why the electrical sub used them.

Why would a sub use a switch that's twice the price - just because it
costs more?

Why would he not use a switch that would work just fine (a 15 amp
switch) and put the difference in his pocket?

On a side note -

When you say "3-way" - do you mean 2-pole center thow - with center
off? A switch that can be set to 3 different physical positions?

I was looking for either a paddle or decora-style 3-way (with center
off) but they're not available at home despot (canada) but they are in
the US, and they're like $50. I seem to remember them being more common
years ago (and not so expensive) - ?

A "three way" switch is a SPDT switch used in pairs to switch a
device from 2 different locations.

Have never seen a center off SPDT switch in paddle or decora in Canada
- the odd momemtary contact (click one way for on and one way for off
for low voltage remote control - or this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...6-GY/301447158
Which is an "industrial grade" switch - can't think offhand where one
would use one in a house - - - -