Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Air conditioner coils and fan motor

In article ,
says...

I think that one was more like:
- 25c to replace capacitor
- 49.75 to know which one.

(not really depending on location)

However, that is a different thing. What this discussion is about is
more the charging of $250 for a repair that reasonably would cost $50,
just because of the middlemen involved and their scheme of scamming
people in dispair.

Right. I just had some painting done on the house. I told the painter
I did not want an itimized list of what all he used, just how much the
job would cost. I don't care if he bought paint for $ 50 a gallon
because he gets a discount and the list price is $ 70 a gallon.

It gets me when I go to the car dealer to have the standard service of
oil change, tires rotated, and a few other things when I get it safety
inspected as required by the state. They list many things even like the
shop towels they wipe their hands with and the disposal fee for the old
oil. I know they have to wipe and wash their hands and get rid of the
old oil. All I need is the bottom line cost, or if they have to do
anything extra like install new wiper blades or light bulbs to pass the
inspection.

When I paid the AC man to come out for $ 100 I was expecting that to
cover his trip and other odd things. As it only took him 10 minuits to
find and replace, I feel ripped off getting charged $ 300 for the $ 15
capacitor. I felt like the bill should have been more like $ 150 total.
Now if he had taken a lot of time to find a difficult problem, a higher
charge would be required.

In many cased it is not the actual part cost, but the over all charge
that I complain about. Had I not known that a capacitor should not be
over $ 25 (their cost) I might have thought $ 200 for a part may be
reasonable.

---