Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob[_40_] Rob[_40_] is offline

Default Air conditioner coils and fan motor

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

The entire AHS is a rip off A good fan motor for an external condenser up
to 4 tons (don't know about bigger ones but those are not common in
residential units) can be easily purchased for something like $150.
Replacing it is half-hour job for anybody who has even rudimentary skills.
Total cost would be less than AHS "copay".

Those home warrenty/insurance companies are all rip offs.

The cost of the motor from a repair man does not surprise me.

A few years ago my AC quit. Called 'One Hour AC people and the man came
out, abut 5 minuits said a capacitor was bad. Relpaced it and was about
$ 350 for the bill. The capacitor should now be over $ 50 allowing for
a large markup that is usually charged and I was told it would be $ 100
just for the man to come out. That ment I got ripped out of about $
200.

Over here people are often warned not to use google to find repairmen
in case of equipment/plumbing failure as there are loads of "middlemen"
that list themselves as "24h service at home" companies and then have
regular self-employed workers that they send off and that have to pay
hefty amounts to the middlemen to get those jobs. This results in
customers being overcharged like 5 times above what would be normal rates.

Apparently that "AHS" is a similar company, with an insurance policy
in addition to the scam. I would not be surprised when they pay in only
a very small fraction of the cases. A repairman usually has no problem
in pointing out some "your own fault" thing to an unknowing consumer.