Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Air conditioner coils and fan motor

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 4:12:41 PM UTC-4, Dallas wrote:
I was 3,500 miles away in S. America last week when my cat sitter
reported that my air conditioning condenser outside wasn't running.

I have an American Home Shield warranty and got my neighbour to meet
the repair guy at the house. The repair guy told me the condenser fan
bearings were shot and the motor needed replacing. Okay, it's 28 years
old as far as I know.

Then he tells me he's going to tell American Home Shield that the motor
failed due to improper maintainence because one surface of the
condenser coils were dirty. He said the heat made the motor fail.

I asked him how heat build up could take out the bearings in a motor.
He just said that's what happened then promptly called AHS and got my
coverage denied. Then he told me he'd charge me $750 for a new motor,
fan and coil cleaning. Being on the other side of the planet I had no
choice but to let him rape me if I wanted a working AC when I got home.

So, my question is this: Is there anyway possible that dirty coils
could stop a fan motor from running? (I doubt very much that the motor
was thermal protected.)

--
Dallas

Very few professional repairers will provide service for these aftermarket warranty companies because they don't pay anywhere near the going rate. I still get calls from these companies and I had to threaten one to stop calling.

Around these parts, we call these warranty "technicians" trunk monkeys, because they often don't even have a truck but work out of their car. When they're not doing warranty work they pick up bottles and cans on the roadside - it's about the same pay they make doing the warranty work.

So what happened is that the thief the warranty company sent out to look at your AC figured he'd get $750 out of you instead of the $225 that they would pay him.

To make sure, he threw you under the bus.

I don't know if your state has a board that oversees licensing, but you should make a formal complaint.

The first thing you should do is cancel the warranty. You should also go on social media and blast both the thief and the warranty provider. I'm sure folks will be thrilled to hear how this thief told the warranty company it was your fault.

If you do, post it here and I'll share it.