Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default three Romex sets in ceiling box

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 15:44:10 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 12:25:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:15:39 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 08:54:58 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 9/11/19 6:15 PM,
wrote:

[snip]

12, 3, 6 and 9 on your clock are 90 out and they are very symmetrical.

so are 1,4,7,10 but not 2,3,7,12.

That reminds me of the "clock arithmetic" we had in school once, where 1
- 2 = 11. It's mod12 where you say 12 when you really mean 0.

[snip]

You might be able to create a 100 degree phase shift with electronics
(using a capacitor like starting a motor) but not in an alternator.

I suppose you could if it was wound right.
Would be awfulldifficult to balance both statically and under load
though - - - - --

And why would that be? If 90 deg isn't a balancing problem, why is rotating the winding ten more degrees suddenly a problem? Take a portable generator. If I rotated the windings, why is there suddenly a balance problem? Take a portable generator and imagine just extending the shaft to a second generator, ignoring any hp issue. I can rotate the second generator to get any phase angle, 0 to 359 degrees between it's output and the first generator's output. Now you have two phase power at any phase difference you want.

You want the rotating field to be symmetrical.

Real simple.
a single full turn of a generator is 360 degrees.There are 2
polarities, so a single phase reversal takes 180 degrees.
Multiple phases in a single rotation need to be evenly devided.
90 degrees would produce either 2 phase or 4. deviding by 3 gives 3
phase at 120 degrees. 60 degrees gives 6 phases. 45 degrees gives 8
phase. 30 degrees gives 12 phase, and 12.5 degrees gives 16.

This refers to the OFFSET of the multiple windings in a stator, using
a single bipolar rotor where the frequency is equal to RPM

Using a 4 pole or 6 pole or 8 pole rotor, etc, limits the number of
phases that can be generated.the number of degrees of separation needs
to be evenly devisable by the number of poles.(which MUST be an even
number)

A 3 phase alternator generally uses 24 poles - but could use 12 or 6 .
Being exclusively bipolar 3 cannot work

Unless you can redifine a complete revollution as something other
than 360 degrees, 100 degrees can NOT work. Nor can 179 or 119 or 121.

And even 2 phase at 90 degrees would require 4 poles.

Not sure how 4 or 8 phase would even work, electrically as I suspect
half of the phases would duplicate each other - - - - - -