Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default three Romex sets in ceiling box

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:15:39 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 08:54:58 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 9/11/19 6:15 PM, wrote:

[snip]

12, 3, 6 and 9 on your clock are 90 out and they are very symmetrical.

so are 1,4,7,10 but not 2,3,7,12.

That reminds me of the "clock arithmetic" we had in school once, where 1
- 2 = 11. It's mod12 where you say 12 when you really mean 0.

[snip]

You might be able to create a 100 degree phase shift with electronics
(using a capacitor like starting a motor) but not in an alternator.

I suppose you could if it was wound right.

Would be awfulldifficult to balance both statically and under load
though - - - - --

And why would that be? If 90 deg isn't a balancing problem, why is rotating the winding ten more degrees suddenly a problem? Take a portable generator. If I rotated the windings, why is there suddenly a balance problem? Take a portable generator and imagine just extending the shaft to a second generator, ignoring any hp issue. I can rotate the second generator to get any phase angle, 0 to 359 degrees between it's output and the first generator's output. Now you have two phase power at any phase difference you want.