Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Any thoughts on the value of this cordless jigsaw

On 12/09/2019 07:27, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

It's a sponsored ad so the reviews are entirely untrustworthy.

Tim

As a matter of (genuine) interest, how do you tell that - does it say it
somewhere I've missed?

Rather than following that link I just searched amazon for cordless
jigsaws. It appeared at the top of the page with €śsponsored€ť next to it.

Amazon is awash with sponsored no-name products all with glowing 5 star
reviews. Given that they are never household names you have to ask yourself
how theyve all go 5 star reviews so quickly. Simple answer is that the
sellers have paid for the ad AND the reviews. Its clearly very lucrative.

Tim

I might be wrong, but I always assumed "sponsored" items were simply
ones that were pushed up the advertising ranking by the seller paying an
extra fee (as happens on Google). Although it seems quite likely that
such sellers would also pay for fake reviews. A little while ago you'd
get products with plausible rather than adulatory reviews where the
reviewer mentioned that they had had the product free or discounted.