Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT How old are you and how were you taught to read?

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/11/2019 10:14 AM, NY wrote:
I'm sure a lot of the longest ones are not in common use. I was rather
miffed, after learning Luftkissenfahrzeug, to discover that Germans
usually use das Hovercraft.

At least that one is pronounceable. Try ‘cyfrwngddarostyngedigaethau’.
That's a real word. I think
'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysili ogogogoch' was made up
by the tourist bureau.

Yes Welsh looks very alien to non-Welsh-speakers. It doesn't help that "w"
is treated as a vowel (or at least, a vowel sound) and that it has
diphthongs such as "dd" ("th" as in "this"), "ll" ("hl", blowing air past
your tongue which is placed between your teeth), "ff" (four) but "f" (vat).

By the way, what does cyfrwngddarostyngedigaethau actually mean? Google
translate says "medium subventions", whatever that means ;-)

Pronunciation: I'll have a go - I don't mind being shot down in flames...

Kuvroong THarostun gedig-eye-th-eye

(TH=this; th=thin)

In England, we have nothing to compare to Lllanfair PG. The longest
placename (and strictly speaking, it's hyphenated) is
Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe: https://goo.gl/maps/1KVHCVoNrzwYQJFy6
(without hyphens) or
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...y=482487&z=115 (with hyphens).