Posted to alt.home.repair

Default three Romex sets in ceiling box

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 21:25:02 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 9/10/19 9:11 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 15:16:47 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On 9/10/19 8:44 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
trader_4 writes:
On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 3:40:45 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

And sometimes I see just one primary going down a road too. Just depends
on what the current loads and expected loads are. That's a good picture of
exactly what I was describing, very common here. Pole transformer
connected between one primary and the primary neutral.

Primary doesn't have a neutral.

One end of the primary connects to a live wire. What is the other end
connected to?

Another live wire that is 180 dergrees out of phase.

Aren't they talking about that single wire earth return? That
must be really
rare. I don't remember seeing it anywhere in my little world. EXCEPT
for electric
fencers to keep livestock in.

No we are talking about wye distribution with one phase conductor and
a grounded conductor although there will always be some earth return.
Measuring the grounding conductor coming down the pole from each
transformer on my street that earth return varies from around a half
amp up to almost 3. I also see current on my service neutral with the
main breaker off but I probably have the best GES on the street so I
get a lot of that current.