Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Any thoughts on the value of this cordless jigsaw

On 11/09/2019 20:37, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/09/2019 15:26, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:55:32 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 11/09/2019 14:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:

Just 11 fabulous 5 star reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...ews-filter-bar

Don't know why so many of the big name versions are being sold without
battery or charger.

Personally I wouldn't touch it. Now, I only buy stuff where I can share
batteries and am confident they will stay available for some time. I run
on Makita 14.4 and 18V Nicads and you can still get clone replacements,
in fact you can now get NiMH too which charge from the same charger.
Just bought my first Lidl 20 volt tool plus battery and charger.

Naked with batteries and chargers separate is a sales strategy to suit
buyers like me.

If I were to buy a Makita cordless jigsaw sans battery and charger,
what would be my options for the battery and charger?

You would need to buy some...

In many cases when starting with cordless tools you would probably buy
the first couple as complete kits with batteries and chargers. Then you
could add new tools as required as "bare" tools, and use the existing
batteries and chargers you have.

Do you mean that Lidl chargers and batteries would fit the bill?

No, they will only work for Lidl tools...

So pick a brand that has all the tools you might ever need, and start
there.

Correct. My Makitas are now quite old but since they seem to be
indestructible it makes more sense just to replace batteries until they
finally die. These days I am a light user (but something of a collector
of toys). I've mostly been happy with my non-cordless Lidl tools and
they are producing an increasing number of cordless tools. Note that
they have two different battery options. So when they had a relatively
cheap cordless angle grinder (something on my wish list for a while) I
bought one, plus charger and a couple of batteries. I passed on a
chainsaw on a stick the other day, but might get a cordless jigsaw next
time they have one.