Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default I broke a gate valve.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 05:01:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 09:12:41 UTC+1, Mike Halmarack wrote:

In my fumbling enthusiasm to get out from under the kitchen sink, I
overdid the leverage and broke the spindle of a seized gate valve. So
now it can be turned forever in any direction with no effect.

Will I have to replace the whole thing, or can I remove the guts from
the main body of the valve and renew just those inner parts?

Replace the valve. Gate valves normally seize.

Re not being able to move the pipes any, you can get a repair whatsit that slides along the pipe giving you an end that can move a fair way back or forth. If you just need a slight bit of movement you can also get a coupling with no inner whatsit (rim?) so it can slide around on pipes.

NT

I'll look out for those kind of features, they seem just right for
this job.
--

Mike

---