Posted to uk.d-i-y
jeikppkywk jeikppkywk is offline

Default I broke a gate valve.

"Mike Halmarack" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:20:06 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 11/09/2019 09:12, Mike Halmarack wrote:

In my fumbling enthusiasm to get out from under the kitchen sink, I
overdid the leverage and broke the spindle of a seized gate valve. So
now it can be turned forever in any direction with no effect.

IME, overdoing it with a gate valve often just involves just looking at
it wrongly!

Will I have to replace the whole thing, or can I remove the guts from
the main body of the valve and renew just those inner parts?

You can just swap the whole thing - they are cheap as chips (for a
reason!) - so not much point attempting repair of service. However I
would swap it for a type of valve that will reliably close and open when
required like a full bore butterfly or leaver action valve.

In my next life I intend to move into my retirement accommodation long
before I become "stiff where once I was supple, and supple where once
I was stiff".

What was the phrase? "I am very stiff when I wake up in the morning, and
not in a good way!"

Every cloud has a silver lining according to my good lady wife. :-)

She's no lady, no tiara.