Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default preventing a 2m x 0.95m wooden table from warping

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

I have a solid oak table that size, only four legs each 4in square.
Nothing reinforcing the top which weighs 1cwt I bought it from the local
auction house in July. Paid £270[*], probably less than a third of the
price of buying the timber to make one. The six chairs included in the
same lot I consider a bonus.

[*] which make this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Oak-Refectory-Dining-Table-by-Brights-of-Nettlebred/223547306434
very over priced.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.