Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
tim... tim... is offline

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/09/2019 15:19, Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
Plus, tariffs are not mandatory. If the EU impose them and cause a
problem that is their problem.

Can I get this clear? In your Utopian UK, after crashing out, you want
the
UK to have no tariffs at all on imports?

Have you talked to your idol Trump about this?

Have you actually read Brian's post?

It is the choice of the importing nation to set tariffs, or agree an
alternative, ie a deal.

You misunderstand it is not the EU that sets UK import tariffs after a
no deal Brexit.

David is a Remainer, you can't expect him to read things let alone
understand even the most basic concepts.

You are utterly mad if you think the UK would accept the EU (or anyone)
imposing tariffs on its exports while refraining from doing so to theirs.

The EU are surrently setting tariffs on our *imports* from the rest of the
world and preventing us doing trade deals with other countries that would
lower tariffs for both our imports and exports.

But perhaps it means you now think trading under WTO terms isn't quite
the
answer so many said it would be.

But temporarily necessary, as the EU forbids us from negotiating trade
deals while we are still a member and they won't even discuss a trade deal
with us until the WA is agreed or we have left!

It's not refusing in principle to discuss a trade deal with us until we have
left, it's refusing to reopen the WA to add it as part of that agreement

It is/was quite willing to discuss a trade deal with us as a side agreement
now or initially as part of the WA, if we indicated to them that that is our
preferred direction of travel.

Unfortunately, TM decided that it wasn't her preferred direction of travel
and declined the opportunity whist the WA was still open to amendment

tim