Posted to alt.home.repair

Default three Romex sets in ceiling box

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 18:33:13 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

I see the typical residential transformer connected with one high
voltage lead going to one primary, not connected across two.

That's certainly not typical. We're fed from a 12kv primary (two
current carrying conductors) which is transformed to 240v for distribution to a
dozen or so homes. All underground from the nearest substation to
the distribution transformer and underground (direct burial) to the
service entrance.

You have Delta distribution but Wye is very popular.

..
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/transformer.jpg

The downside of Wye is you are using the ground as a current path and
there is some objectionable current on grounding conductors. That is
also true of the typical service since earth parallels the neutral in
the drop but not as pronounced as it is with Wye distribution. PoCos
like it because it saves one wire.