Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default preventing a 2m x 0.95m wooden table from warping

On 09/09/2019 15:20, Harold Davis wrote:
TimW wrote in :

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x
40mm, in either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs,
which is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9
legs before.) It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have
only 4 legs. But I like this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside?
Or would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I
realise it would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

I would suggest 3 short lengths of timber screwed to the underside.
The screws should be in slots to allow the table top to move and have
washers under their heads to allow you to tighten them. The timber
braces should be as thick as the table top.

9 legs is bonkers. You will find table leg brackets quite good if you
don't want to do any joinery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORNER-brac...ackets/dp/B00M
D0WZNU TW

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this. When you say short, do you mean across the width?
Mightn't that allow sag in the middle of the length?

you wont get a lot over 2meters if its truly 40mm deep
You can aded some longitudinals - best is in the center where you weont
bang knees on it, notched to go OVER the cross bracing.
Counterbore deep and use long screws. Cos it needs to be maybe 6" deep.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump