Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default preventing a 2m x 0.95m wooden table from warping

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

Ive got tow like that.,

One is warped.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

No worries, Mine have 4

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Mine have a timber frame screwed underneath and 4 legs screwed to te
inside of that. Or two transverse baulks with legs coning off those.

Your biggest problem is in trying to find reasonably quarter sawn oak or
beech to stop it cupping

Thanks in advance!

Harry