Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On 08/09/2019 14:35, michael adams wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
The Irish problem is entirely fabricated by the EU / Ireland. At no
point has the UK suggested a hard border. It is Ireland which is
building border check points, not the UK.

OK then. EU workers have free movement to Eire. With no border controls,
they can take a bus to Ulster, and onwards to the UK. Unless we have
controls between Ulster and the mainland. Unacceptable to the DUP.

But haven't we discussed this before - and we realised that travel between NI and GB
already normally requires the production of some acceptable form of ID - albeit usually
not officially for the purposes of border control?

Freedom of movement between the UK and the RoI only applies
to citizens of the UK and RoI and for this reason citizens
of the UK and RoI can be asked to produce proof of
nationality which normally means a passport or a driving
licence. The same would still apply after a No Deal Brexit.
The only difference would be that some mechanism would be
required - by the UK - to ensure that only UK and RoI citizens
crossed the border between NI and the RoI.

Otherwise as Dave says the alien EU hordes can pitch up in
Dublin, take a bus to Belfast and catch the next ferry
to Stranraer.

Are we trying to stop EU citizens visiting? Without the correct
paperwork, *remaining* in the UK is a lot harder - no job, no home, no
benefits, no NHS, etc.

SteveW