Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default How to make a curtain pelmet

On 08/09/2019 19:33, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 14:53:53 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

So my wife is designing our bedroom and wants a pelmet covering the top of the curtains. It is basically flat but then she wants an ornate top and then the whole lot painted. To keep the weight of the whole thing down (it is about 2.4m long) I was thinking of getting 6mm ply/ MDF for the front, sides and top and then use some say 1"x1" battens in the corners to screw the ply to and essentially make a bottomless/ backless box then fix the ornate beading to it. Looking online, looks like all the ones I could fine use 18mm MDF and just screw them together (e.g. the front board screwed directly into the edge of the sides).

TBH the other technique seems a lot easier/ quicker but wanted to solicit feedback here. Maybe there is a better approach?

thanks

Lee.

18mm won't go anywhere. 6mm should be alright but no guarantees long term, it's thin & can go out of whack. Hardboard of course has even worse rigidity - it isn't. ISTR one pelmet bing supported by the rail using clips that miss the curtain mechanism.

NT

They used to use hardboard with vertical "ripples" about an inch wide. I
guess that makes it a bit thicker and hence stiffer.